The BRAIN work packets are designed to assist school personnel make the most of their limited time and provide evidence-based skill instruction for adolescent/secondary schools.
If you work in a school, there are two constants:
- Not enough time in the day, and
- Not enough resources to maximize your time.
The BRAIN packets are designed specifically to address these problems.
First, the packets maximize the very little time we have to dedicate to students with significant social, emotional, and behavioral problems. Second, by structuring topics of discussion and relevance that require some basic problem-solving skills, we can leverage the little amount of time we have. Third, the packets are full of evidence-based skill instruction! They have been incorporated into various adolescent themes in an effort to be more relevant and accessible for students, parents, and their school team.
This first series of BRAIN packets focus on the following behavioral profiles:
- Students exhibiting symptoms of Attention-Deficity/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), e.g., poor impulse control, acting without thinking, disruptive, and disorganized.
- Students exhibiting symptoms of an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), e.g., developmental delays in social communication, restricted interests, and elevated levels of anxiety.
- Students exhibiting symptoms of depression and/or anxiety, e.g., low self-esteem, low self-efficacy, elevated levels of worrying stress, and low coping skills.